The Eagle River Water and Sanitation District provides high quality, affordable drinking water to its customers to protect public health and the natural surroundings. The District uses advanced treatment technologies and innovative approaches to water operations management, ensuring protection of its local watersheds. We are currently looking for students, recent graduates or passionate lifelong learners to intern with our Water Department for the summer to assist with general maintenance, housekeeping, groundskeeping, systems operations, water quality sampling and troubleshooting of water treatment facilities, wells, and related equipment within established guidelines and under direct supervision.
This is a great opportunity for a mechanically inclined, self-starter who is interested in gaining experience to build an environmental focused career in water. The Water Intern will have lots of exposure to different elements of our industry and will learn from experienced water professionals. Other benefits include paid Holidays, housing stipend, and opportunities for training.
The ideal timeframe for this candidate is suited for a recent graduate or someone who can work a full six months as a full time seasonal employee. We would prefer an intern who can start in April or May to assist with lead and copper sampling.
What You Will Do:
- Bacteriological sampling as needed
- Primarily work on Work Orders, working with operators and supervisors to fulfill work orders and update work order system
- Treatment facility reads and analyzer verifications
- Lab analysis and data entry
- Collect, package, and ship water samples as directed
- QA/QC on water quality parameters
- Chemical and salt handling
- Housekeeping, grounds keeping, and general maintenance
- Assist the Raw Water Resources Operator in routine maintenance and data collection at storage reservoirs.
- Assist Water Superintendent with water sampling and maintenance as directed.
- Assist staff with Lead & Copper Sampling as needed
- This position is Monday - Friday, 8-5 with some flexibility in schedule.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Pursuing Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university within Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Biology, Watershed Science, Chemistry or related field; or 6 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Friendly with strong customer service skills and able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients and co-workers.
- Ability to work with hand tools and basic mechanical ability required.
- Basic electrical and plumbing skills and knowledge preferred.
- Sampling experience preferred with a background in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or Life Sciences background.
- Enthusiastic about Water and ready to learn.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and appropriately communicate sensitive information.
- Must be comfortable with physical work and be able to work in variable weather conditions.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license and be insurable under District's standards.
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
For a full job description, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must apply online in order to be considered.
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 1067