Wastewater Operator Intern
Summer Wastewater Intern
Our mission is to provide efficient, effective, and reliable water and wastewater utility services in a manner that respects the natural environment. Wastewater Operators provide a service to the community by creating and controlling an environment for bacteria and microorganisms to thrive in order to discharge clean and non-polluted water back to the river. The work our Wastewater Operators are responsible for has an immediate positive environmental impact on our community.
We are currently looking for a current student or recent graduate to intern with our Wastewater Department at the Avon Wastewater Treatment Facility, for the summer to assist with plant operations, maintenance and the inspection of critical equipment and infrastructure components as our team moves into a multi-million dollar nutrient removal upgrade project.
This is a great opportunity for an energetic, self-starter who is interested in gaining meaningful experience to build a potential Environmental Career in Wastewater. Other benefits include paid Holidays, housing stipend, and opportunities for training.
What You Will Do:
- Facility staff will train the ideal candidate with daily operations and maintenance of the wastewater treatment facility. The candidate will be trained similar to that of an Operator Trainee and will participate in the Wastewater Division’s Onboarding program that is designed for the intern to learn each step of the process. At the conclusion of this internship, the candidate should have a solid knowledge and work background in order to complete and pass the Colorado Class ‘D’ Wastewater Operators exam.
- Day to day tasks and duties of the intern will be determined by the Supervisor of the Treatment Facility, and operations staff members. The candidate may also be asked to assist the District Laboratory with field sampling and possible data entry.
- Assist the supervisor and operations staff members as we move into the first year of design for the BNR & Condition Assessment Project; this includes inspecting existing wastewater process tanks, completing maintenance, and identifying any deficiencies that will be included in the upcoming design.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Pursuing Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university within Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Biology, Watershed Science, Chemistry or related field; or pursuing an Associates, or technical degree from a , Scientific or Trade Institution; or 6 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft software programs such as Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Organizational skills required in order to keep and develop sound QA/QC practices.
- Friendly with strong customer service skills and able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to clients and co-workers. You will be expected to help maintain a culture of respect.
- Ability to work with hand tools and basic mechanical ability required.
- Sampling experience strongly preferred with a background in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or Life Sciences background.
- Enthusiastic and ready to learn.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and appropriately communicate sensitive information.
- Must be comfortable with physical work and be able to work in variable and sometimes unpleasant working conditions.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license and be insurable under District's standards.
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
For a full job description, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must apply online in order to be considered.
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 1072