Our organization is the steward of public funds collected to provide a defined service to our constituents. We manage these funds responsibly, fairly and with integrity and with a high level of responsibility to our customers and community. We are currently looking for an Accountant with a high level of skill and integrity to join our team and support our mission of providing efficient, effective, and reliable water and wastewater utility services in a manner that respects the natural environment.
This position is responsible for maintaining accurate general ledgers representing financial transactions, subsidiary records for accounting purposes and payroll systems including processing, reconciliation and reporting. A great candidate for this role is a combination of someone who is just as comfortable crunching numbers and diving into spreadsheets, as they are enthusiastic in working with others to provide an efficient vital service to the community.
Why work for us? An Accountant role at the base of Vail Mountain for a great company that has a direct positive impact on the local environment and community- what could be better than that? Not to mention our excellent benefits, housing program, and training opportunities.
The Day to Day:
ACCOUNTING AND BUDGETING:
- Prepares and enters into the computer standard and special journal entries representing daily, monthly, and annual activity.
- Reviews general ledger reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Maintains subsidiary records for accounting purposes.
- Reconciles bank statements and performs a wide variety of other reconciliations to the general ledger.
- Verifies and posts CIS Infinity cash, adjustments and billing journals.
- Monitors cash balances and schedules wires or transfers as needed.
- Prepares schedules for debt service payments and interest accruals.
- Monitors monthly comparison of actual expenditures to the budget.
- Prepares annual audit work papers for revenue and expenditures and reconciles to the general ledger.
- Prepares confirmation correspondences for auditors.
- Assist the auditors with research and questions as needed.
- Oversees GP systems administration and performs system maintenance as needed.
TEAMWORK AND COLLABORATION
- Works closely with the Accounting Specialist on Accounts Payable (AP) duties and purchasing card program and may provide guidance for the Accounting Specialist.
- Works closely with the Controller on budgets and may receive guidance from the Controller on day to day tasks.
- This position reports to the Director of Finance.
- Works with leadership to prepare operations budget preparation worksheets for all departments.
- Collaborates with department leaders to create salary and insurance budget worksheets for all departments.
- Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties.
- Special Projects and other duties as assigned.
- Oversees the verification and processing of accounts payable including invoices and payable checks. Ensures that confidential information is kept secure.
- Reviews and approves all disbursements ensuring appropriate approvals.
- Oversees the correct and timely payment of amounts due vendors and deposit of checks received.
- Prepares invoices to charge others for various products and services from information in work orders and miscellaneous documents.
- Assigns account numbers to invoices for revenues and expenses.
- Performs collection procedures for past due invoices.
- Prepares and distributes operations actual vs. budget comparison summaries to all employees. (Budget Expenditure Reports)
- Summarizes completed worksheets, prepares master budget documents, and enters the annual budget into the general ledger system.
- Shares biweekly payroll processing and verification of payroll maintenance entered by HR.
- Runs payroll reports for verification and reconciliation of employee deductions and employer matches.
- Reviews invoices, bills and reports for insurance and benefits to ensure accuracy of premiums before payment.
- Trains other appropriate positions on payroll system.
- Prepares 457 Temp distributions for terminated temporary employees
- Process annual 1099-Rs, 1096s and 945s for terminated temporary employees.
- For Accountant II: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; accounting degree or related; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must understand basic business principles. For Accountant I: Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; accounting degree or related; or three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be able to read and interpret documents such as financial and technical reports, financial and accounting guidance documents, spreadsheets and financial models.
- Strong communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills a must.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Experience creating and analyzing budgets.
- Must be able to exercise considerable initiative and sound judgment; read and understand governmental publications and simple legal documents; analyze administrative problems and develop and present sound conclusions and recommendations; plan, coordinate, research, compile, and analyze a variety of reports and projects.
- Proven customer service skills and the ability to work productively with limited direct supervision.
- Must be comfortable with Microsoft Office suite, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Comprehensive knowledge of GAAP and all accounting systems and procedures.
- Advanced ability and experience with spreadsheet programs such as Excel and payroll software applications essential.
- The position requires an advanced technical understanding of financial and payroll software systems as well as increased responsibility, experience and decision making over accounting functions.
- Must have experience with or be able to learn Microsoft Dynamics GP and Paycom.
- Knowledge of Solomon Accounting software and CIS Infinity utility software is helpful.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills required, including the ability to manage a large variety of tasks and deadlines in a positive and productive manner.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
The pay range for an Accountant I is $23.46 - $32.87. The pay range for an Accountant II is $26.28 - $39.41. Starting wage and title depends on experience. For a full job description, including work environment and physical requirements, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org in order to be considered. The last day to apply to this position is November 10, 2019.
Pay: $26.28 to $39.41/hour
The pay range for an Accountant II is $26.28 - $39.41
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4244