Our mission is to provide efficient, effective, and reliable water and wastewater utility services in a manner that respects the natural environment. Wastewater Operators provide a service to the community by creating and controlling an environment for bacteria and microorganisms to thrive in order to discharge clean and non-polluted water back to the river. The work our Wastewater Operators are responsible for has an immediate positive environmental impact on our community.
We are currently looking for a recent graduate or enthusiastic lifelong learner to intern with our Wastewater Department for the summer to assist with plant operations, maintenance and the inspection of critical equipment and infrastructure components.
This is a great opportunity for an energetic, self-starter who is interested in gaining meaningful experience to build a potential environmental career in Wastewater. Why work for us? This is an opportunity to develop your career AND provide a vital service to the community. Not to mention paid Holidays, a fun team, monthly housing stipend, and opportunities for training.
What You Will Do:
- Facility staff will train you on daily operations and maintenance of the wastewater treatment facility. You will be trained similar to that of an Operator Trainee and will participate in the Wastewater Division’s Onboarding program to learn each step of the process. At the end of this internship, you should have a solid knowledge and work background to complete and pass the Colorado Class ‘D’ Wastewater Operators exam.
- Your day to day tasks and duties will be determined by the Supervisor of the Treatment Facility, and operations staff members. You may also be asked to assist the District Laboratory with field sampling and possible data entry.
- Like most internships, "other duties as assigned" may be a part of your job but rather than doing tasks like fetching coffee for your supervisor, you will have the opportunity to assist with projects, upgrades and some pretty significant plant maintenance.
The biggest thing you will do in this job is learn while doing and help out the team. You might also fall in love with the field and grow a career out of a summer!
- We are ideally looking for someone who can work six months or up to a 1000 hours over the summer months.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Pursuing Bachelor's degree (B.A. or B.S.) from four-year college or university within Environmental Sciences, Engineering, Biology, Watershed Science, Chemistry or related field; or pursuing an Associates, or technical degree from a , Scientific or Trade Institution; or 6 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Proficient with computers, including Microsoft software programs such as Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Organizational skills required in order to keep and develop sound QA/QC practices.
- Friendly with strong customer service skills and able to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to clients and workers. You will be expected to help maintain a culture of respect.
- Ability to work with hand tools and basic mechanical ability required.
- Sampling experience strongly preferred with a background in Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or Life Sciences background.
- Enthusiastic and ready to learn.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and appropriately communicate sensitive information.
- Must be comfortable with physical work and be able to work in variable and sometimes unpleasant working conditions.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license and be insurable under District's standards.
The hourly wage for this role is $15/hour. Wastewater Interns are eligible for Wastewater Conditions Supplemental Pay and the $300 monthly housing stipend.
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
For a full job description, email firstname.lastname@example.org
All applicants must apply online in order to be considered.
Pay: up to $15/hour
</span></li> </ul> <p><span>The hourly wage for this role is $15/hour
Job Status: Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 1107