Vail Wastewater Treatment Facility Supervisor
Vail Wastewater Treatment Facility Supervisor- Full Time Year Round
If you are someone who geeks out on wastewater treatment, we have your next great mission right here in the heart of the Rockies. The Vail Wastewater Treatment Facility is located directly next to a world-class ski resort and high-end hotels. We have maintained a strong reputation over the years (most people don’t even know we are here- which in our industry is a good thing) and we intend to keep it that way! Managing the facility, in the heart of a resort community where there are high customer expectations and seasonal operational variability is a key component of this position.
We are looking for an experienced wastewater leader to join our team as the Vail Wastewater Treatment Facility Supervisor. We are looking for a knowledgeable and communicative leader to collaborate within our Wastewater Department and support the mission of the organization. The ideal candidate is flexible, adaptable, and has a forward thinking mentality to address changing regulations and stay ahead of industry trends and best practices.
Why work for us? The work you will do as a Wastewater Supervisor will have an immediate positive environmental impact on our community. Not to mention our excellent benefits, supplemental pay for working in wastewater conditions, housing program (a rental unit is guaranteed for this position) and opportunities to learn, attend conferences and training.
The Day to Day:
- DYNAMIC LEADERSHIP: Motivates, encourages and develops a group of three Wastewater Operators. Develops succession plans. Develops and maintains training program for operational staff to ensure employee development, growth, and engagement. Responsible for performance management, time management, talent management and purchasing card approvals for all direct reports.
- DEPARTMENTAL COLLABORATION: Coordinates and communicates regularly with the Wastewater Manager, the other two wastewater facilities, and the laboratory in order to establish system-wide efficiency and optimal performance.
- REGULATORY COMPLIANCE: Responsible for ensuring that all requirements of the Colorado Department of the Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) Colorado Discharge Permit System (CDPS) Permit are being met, including effluent discharge limits, compliance schedule requirements, specialized sampling, reporting etc. Serves as the "Certified Operator in Responsible Charge" of the facility and thoroughly understands the requirements and responsibilities associated with this role pursuant to Regulation 100. Serves as the Discharge Monitoring Report (DMR) cognizant official. Prepares or reviews the monthly discharge monitoring reports to ensure accuracy, quality assurance and quality control. Reports instances of non-compliance or situations that could result in non-compliance as appropriate to the Wastewater Manager and General Manager. Drafts letters to CDPHE if upsets occur or if there are clarifications to the data, sampling, analysis, monitoring etc. Prepares new discharge permit renewal applications; works with Consultants and CDPHE during the renewal process to ensure that all proposed permit limits are capable of being met.
- FACILITY MAINTENANCE AND PERFORMANCE: Directs the activities of facility operators on facility operations, maintenance, communications, controls, instrumentation, process optimization, personnel policies, and employee relations. Prioritizes needs, activities and expectations of the facility. Has the ability to collect, tabulate and reviews facility operating data. Develops or directs the development of appropriate spreadsheets and charts to track seasonal variations etc. Develops strategies for seasonal variations for flows and loading in a resort climate. Has the ability to monitor and evaluate Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) trends and to interpret and quickly detect anomalies. Determines and implements both process and mechanical equipment changes in order to optimize facility performance based on data. Develops maintenance programs; oversee Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS); reviews work order status, tasks and maintenance schedules. Directs the scheduling and purchasing of chemicals. Serves as the Owner’s facility representative during design and construction projects; serves on the selection committee for selecting engineers and contractors, develops or review methods of procedures (MOPs), coordinates construction phasing to ensure reduced compliance risk, participates in design and construction meetings, reviews and provides input on all plans, specifications and schedules. Ensures that the Online Manual System (OMS), facility as-builts, instrumentation, controls and electrical (ICE) drawings are accurate and current.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Responsible for mitigating odor from the wastewater facility in a resort community/neighborhood with high customer expectations.
- SCHEDULING: Coordinates scheduling for shift coverage, training, staffing of the facility 365 days of the year including daily on-call coverage during off-hours. Serves as rotating ‘Operator On-Call.’ Responds to off-hours equipment failures, alarms, facility upsets, odors etc. as needed. Provides support for the other wastewater treatment facilities as needed.
- PROCESS CONTROL AND LONG RANGE PLANNING: Makes process control and system integrity decisions on the operation and maintenance of the facility. Has the ability to operate or direct the operations of all aspects of the facility including pumps, motors, controls, electrical control panels, disinfection, instrumentation, HVAC, foul air equipment, odor control, laboratory processes, and other mechanical and electrical equipment. Responsible for coordinating or performing specialized field sampling including total dissolved solids (TDS), rivers sampling, nutrient sampling, whole effluent toxicity (WET), facility stormwater sampling etc. Evaluates the reported deficiencies of existing processes, facilities, equipment, and support systems for meeting the facility’s needs. Documents enhancements or expansions needed to ensure sufficient capacity, improve performance, increase efficiency, meet future needs or improve safety. Recommends capital projects, life cycle projects, programs, changes and activities for optimal facility operations. Responsible for developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for facility processes and equipment; ensures that SOPs are followed by facility staff.
- THE BIG PICTURE: Participates in master planning efforts, assists with flow and loading projections, capital planning and budgeting. Keeps apprised of new developments in wastewater treatment methods, materials, tools, technology, and equipment, and analyzes and makes recommendation to adopt when in the best interest of the District. Contributes to District programs and initiatives as needed including inflow and infiltration (I&I) mitigation program, sustainability, employee engagement initiatives, energy optimization and monitoring etc. Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties.
- Passion for wastewater treatment processes and for environmental protection are a must.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or Associates degree with three to five years related experience and/or training; Requires a minimum of 4-5 years experience in wastewater treatment operations and a Class "A" operator's certificate. Candidates without a degree and with commensurate experience may be considered but will be strongly encouraged to obtain their associates degree within three years.
- Experience in leading and coordinating of people in a team-based environment required.
- Coordination and collaboration skills are essential.
- Must be able to tactfully, respectfully and professionally communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Must be able to build and maintain strong relationships with other District Departments and town, county, and state agencies.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are a must.
- Must have the ability to identify issues, think through problems and come up with creative solutions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel in particular, required.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Travel on and around operational construction sites and the operation of District vehicles.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is sometimes very loud. These conditions are incurred during on-site visits to operating construction sites.
The pay range for this role is $29.74 - $44.61 per hour plus a lump sum of $295 per paycheck for Wastewater Conditions Supplemental Pay. Hiring range depends on qualifications.
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org by January 27, 2019 to be considered. All employees must be insurable under District standards, submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a full job description or for any additional questions. Full Job description is available upon request.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1097