Utility Customer Service Manager
Customer Service is the main hub of the district’s interactions with its’s customers and the front line connection to the community. Not everyone knows our operations but every community member knows our monthly bills- a good customer service department plays a huge role in whether or not our customers have a positive experience. We are looking for a dedicated and positive Utility Customer Service Manager to join our team and continue to shape the strong community connection we have developed as well as encourage water use efficiency.
The Utility Customer Service Manager will direct and manage:
- Customer billing and collections
- Call center and service desk
- Customer Information System (CIS) Software
- Metering services
- New account process and transfers of service
- Backflow and Cross Connection Program and regulatory compliance
This is a great opportunity for a communicative and collaborative big picture thinker to direct a key public service, manage sound billing practices, and maintain regulatory compliance to protect our environment and customers. Why work for us? The work you do for us provides an essential service to the community while working with a team of fun, talented and dedicated individuals. Not to mention our excellent benefits, housing program, and opportunities for learning and development.
What you’ll do:
OVERSEE AN ENERGETIC AND ENTHUSIASTIC TEAM
The Utility Customer Service Manager serves as a positive and engaged member of the District Management Team and manages employees for optimum productivity. This role takes a proactive approach to the management of employee performance while creating and maintaining a supportive, professional, and open environment, consistent with the District’s culture. A manager at ERWSD encourages leadership at all levels within the District as well as communicates the Vision, Mission, Values, and team norms of the District to employees frequently and consistently.
COLLABORATE WITH OTHER DEPARTMENTS
The Utility Customer Service Manager upholds the organizational Vision, Mission, and Values, and the strategies of the management team. Builds and fosters collaborative relationships with each District department, works, and influences across department lines to accomplish established goals. Updates colleagues on projects and activities. Updates impacted departments of operational problems or explain procedural changes or practices. Coordinates with Finance and Engineering departments regarding billing rates, collections, reporting, and water demand management.
PLAN AND STRATEGIZE FOR THE FUTURE
The Utility Customer Service Manager is the key player in establishing departmental goals and plans, and participates in strategic and master planning processes. Ensures continuous improvement in the Division’s business processes. Serves as a consultant to the Construction Review Team (CRT) on meter account payment matters, and rules and regulations updates.
WORK WITH THE COMMUNITY
The Customer Service Department is the touchpoint for the community. The Utility Customer Service Manager creates effective and positive relationships throughout the organization and community. Accomplishes job duties using a "customer service" approach. Participates in developing communications explaining programs and requirements for distribution to customers. This role also plays a significant role in conservation by promoting water conservation efforts related to the Water Efficiency Plan. This role encourages community members not to use less water but to waste less water.
INNOVATE, EVALUATE AND IMPROVE ALL ASPECTS OF CUSTOMER SERVICE
The Utility Customer Service Manager leads and directs development and implementation of policies, business processes, procedures, and programs to ensure customer service delivery which is exceptional in quality, timeliness, and accuracy. Directs the development of, manages, and monitors department operations against performance quality and efficiency measures. Evaluates trends to identify causes of service problems and effective solutions. Implements quality methods to improve service delivery and cost effectiveness. Oversees the development and updating of department standards and procedure manuals. Evaluates the impact of proposed changes to District service rules on customer service, billing, and collections processes through audits, benchmarking, or other measures. Directs research and implements enhancements to improve customer care and support through audits, benchmarking, or other measures. The Utility Customer Service Manager will not only work to maintain and improve all operations for the Customer Service Department, they also will continuously work on their own professional development by maintaining professional memberships, certifications and attending trainings and conferences.
UTILIZE BUSINESS AND CUSTOMER SERVICE SYSTEMS
The Utility Customer Service Manager provides oversight of the following programs or systems: Customer Information System (CIS), Mitel Workgroup and Interactive Voice Response (IVR), Paymentus, Flexnet, Sensus Analytics, WaterSmart, and other systems. Utilizes GIS, Cityworks, and SharePoint. Responsible for ensuring all formats of customer information is protected and in compliance with Payment Card Industry and Red Flag standards. Resolves high level issues and ensures department accuracy as it relates to District customers, customer service programs, online billing, fees, billing variances/adjustments, data integrity, audits, records, delinquent accounts, liens, bankruptcy, etc. The Customer Service Manager will be a power user of software programs utilized within department.
The Utility Customer Service Manager is responsible for all regulatory compliance that fall within the Customer Service Department including the Backflow and Cross Connection Compliance Program, Account Uniformity, Payment Card Industry, Red Flag Standards, and all other Federal, State, and Local regulations, rules, and laws.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university in Business Administration or related field and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Regulatory compliance and data analysis experience required. Please make sure this is indicated in application, resume or cover letter.
- Previous experience working in a utility, government entity or a position of public engagement required. Please make sure this is indicated in application, resume or cover letter.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and meet stated customer initiated deadlines.
- Previous success in the leading of people in a team-based environment required.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills required, including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, Board of Directors, clients, customers, and the general public.
- An ideal candidate will have an eye for process efficiency improvement.
- Must be able to learn and adapt to new software systems.
- Computer proficiency required; Windows Office Suite including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- General knowledge of data base management required.
- Experience working with CIS Infinity preferred.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
- Project and time management skills required, including the ability to delegate, meet deadlines, prioritize and organize work to complete projects and initiatives.
- Strong commitment to customer service a must.
- Experience working with the public and utilizing customer service skills internally and externally required.
- Ability to research and resolve issues, work with minimal supervision required.
- Must be able to work honestly and with integrity.
- The ability to work as a member of a team is a must.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
The Pay Range for this role is $77,000 - $123,000 annually. Starting salary depends on qualifications. For a full job description, including work environment and physical requirements, please email email@example.com
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org in order to be considered. The last day to apply to this position is June 27, 2019.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1111