Meter Services Technician
Are you mechanically minded person who is just as comfortable building trust and relationships with customers as you are working with your hands? Do you have a strong eye for detail and organization? Do you have a strong desire to contribute and help people? Are you technically savvy and looking for your next opportunity in a stable but dynamic field? If so, we are looking for someone like YOU to join our team and provide service to our community and customers as a Meter Services Technician.
A Meter Services Technician is a member of a team responsible for implementing the Eagle River’s Metering Services Programs. This position performs monthly meter reads, installing, inspecting, and testing of water meters and fire hydrant meters. Technicians also perform a number of duties in support of ensuring service to customers including: curb stop locates, emergency water shut off, service connections and disconnections and emergency response, and rotate on-call duties with Eagle River’s Field Operations Department. Technicians serve as the liaison between the Utility Services Department and the customer when in the field and provide excellent customer service and education.
This is an exciting opportunity for a mechanically and technically inclined self-starter looking for workplace stability while still pushing forward to develop their skills and stay ahead of the curve with industry best practices. The ideal candidate for this role has strong communication skills in addition to strong mechanical and technical ability. And the best part: you provide an essential service to the community while working outside and seeing some pretty amazing places. Not to mention our excellent benefits, housing program and opportunities for training, certification and development.
The Day to Day:
- METER SERVICES: Installs meters, collects reads, inspects assemblies, locates curb stops, tests and repairs meters. Technicians install and support Eagle River’s Automated Metering Infrastructure. Performs reading, repair, testing, and inspection of new construction and existing customer installations of meters, fire hydrant meters, and PRV’s to identify problems and water loss. Inventories all meters and other equipment. Executes work orders for completed meter maintenance, equipment change-outs and repairs. Inspects for tampering and illegal taps or meter hookups.
- TRAINING: Trains contractors on fire hydrant safety and operations. Provides training to other employees as needed, including temporary and part-time positions. Navigates and completes work orders and asset inspections in Cityworks. Understands and utilizes customer service documents, system drawings, construction plans and standard details
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Interacts with customers regarding meter readings, construction, delinquent accounts, and other inquiries. Locates and operates curb stops. Provides onsite metering equipment investigation and troubleshooting for billing inquiries.
- DOCUMENTATION: Inspects new and existing service connections for compliance as well as provide data updates to the GIS system to maintain customer and asset accuracy.
- ADMINISTRATION: Completes administrative functions correctly and on time including purchasing card reconciliation, time entry, scheduling, and reading emails.
- SAFETY: Demonstrates understanding of district Rules and Regulations as it pertains to Utility Services Department. Embraces the safety culture at the district and follows all safety protocols. Follows all District safety and security policies and standard. Wears Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties. Maintains all required safety certifications and makes sure all safety trainings are up to date.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with all departments and district staff. Demonstrates a willingness to work independently in a team environment. Demonstrates a strong work ethic, integrity, positive attitude and is a team player.
- COMMUNICATION: Acts as liaison between Field Operations, Utility Services and Customer Service Departments for all matters related to meter services. Respectfully communicates with peers and the public. Demonstrates tact and professionalism in communication.
- CULTURE: Embraces district mission, vision, and values.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Mechanical and technical experience required.
- Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Kindness and a desire to serve the community is key to success in this position.
- Colorado Distribution and Collection Licenses strongly preferred.
- Must be able to obtain Colorado Water Distribution Operator I and Wastewater Collection Operator I certifications within 18 months of date of employment. All Certifications and Licenses must be kept current.
- Must be willing to work overtime, weekends and be on call.
- Proven customer service skills and the ability to work productively with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to read maps and interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
- Excellent communications skills (both written and verbal) are essential. This position works closely with customers, consumers, contractors, developers and other District Departments. A successful Meter Services Technician will have a genuine passion for working with the public.
- Computer proficiency required, including basic Microsoft Office skills including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Must have aptitude and ability to work with CMMS to create work orders and use GIS to read maps.
- Prior experience with asset management systems or work order systems preferred.
- Must be able to read maps and diagrams.
- Ability to use office equipment such as phone systems, copier, and fax machine, and radio system required.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license and be insurable under District's standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
There are five levels of Meter Services Technician (Trainee, 1, 2, 3, 4) with different titles and pay ranges depending on certifications, knowledge, skills and abilities. Pay range and title depend on certifications and experience. Starting range depends on qualifications but generally falls within the minimum and midpoint of the pay range. Pay ranges for each level are as follows:
- Meter Services Technician: $18.23 - $23.41
- Meter Services Technician 1: $19.01 - $25.89
- Meter Services Technician 2: $21.03 - $28.79
- Meter Services Technician 3: $23.46 - $32.33
- Meter Services Technician 4: $26.04 - $36.14
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org to be considered by April 21, 2021. All employees must be insurable under District standards, submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a full job description (including physical requirements and description of work environment) or for any additional questions.