Meter Services Supervisor
Our Meter Services Technicians are often the first point of connection for the district’s interactions with its customers and serves as the frontline connection to the community. Not everyone knows our operations but every community member knows our monthly bills- an accurate meter read and a friendly face play a huge role in whether or not our customers have a positive experience. We are looking for a dedicated and professional Meter Services Supervisor to join our team and continue to shape the strong community connections we have developed and continue to implement, maintain, and continuously improve our advanced metering infrastructure (AMI).
This role will be responsible for supervising the meter services program which includes reading, installing, inspecting, and testing water meters, fire hydrant meters, and radio transmission and advanced metering infrastructure equipment as well as supervising a talented and dedicated team of meter technicians. The ideal candidate for this role is a proven leader of people and implementer of systems.
Why work for us? The work you will do as a Meter Services Supervisor will take our program to the next level my improving efficiency, ensuring continued accuracy, and providing excellent service to our customers and community. Not to mention our excellent health benefits, housing program, and opportunities for training and development.
The Day to Day:
- LEADERSHIP: Plans, organizes, and supervises all aspects of the Meter Services Division. Directly supervises Meter Services Coordinator and Meter Technicians. Trains team members. Trains on-call staff in the operation of meter reading, maintenance, and equipment as needed. Obtains and maintains required certifications, including backflow, distribution, and collections.
- RELATIONSHIPS: Acts as liaison between the Meter Services Division and the Field Operations Department, the Water Department, and the Customer Service Department for all matters related to meter installation, reading, and system maintenance. Participates on the Construction Review and Non-Revenue Water committees.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Interacts with customers regarding meter readings, construction, delinquent accounts, backflow assembly compliance status, and other issues and inquiries.
- METER SERVICES AND MAINTENANCE: Conducts/oversees meter reading (AMR/AMI). Coordinates reading schedules and routes. Keeps the meter reading system up to date. Establishes meter reading routes in accordance with changing conditions to distribute reading workload. Performs/supervises reading, repair, testing, and inspection of meters for new construction installs and existing meter assemblies, fire hydrant meters. Responsible for curb stop locating and exercising, service line inspection and material verification, and record keeping. Identifies tampering and illegal taps or meter hookups through inspection and follows up with enforcement. Installs, repairs, tests, and assembles meters. Inspects water lines, PRV's and valves. Provides oversight and management of meter reading hardware and software. Keeps updated records of meter maintenance.
- SCHEDULING: Develops departmental procedures and policies regarding meter maintenance. Provides oversight and management of meter reading hardware and software. Keeps updated records of meter maintenance.
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND PROCESS IMPROVEMENT: Oversees conversion and maintenance of the District’s AMI system, including managing infrastructure projects. Seeks effective ways and technologies to reduce read times and increase use of CIS, meter system analytics, and other internal software programs. Continuously improve and refine program by utilizing new technologies and applying new strategies.
- BUDGETING: Maintains meter inventory and orders equipment. Manages budget.
- DATA ANALYSIS AND TRACKING: Reviews consumption reports monthly for zero reads, high consumption. Performs trouble shooting of data. Provides oversight and management of meter reading hardware and software. Keeps updated records of meter maintenance.
- TEAMWORK: Develops departmental procedures and policies regarding meter maintenance and backflow program. Coordinates with Meter Services Coordinator on scheduling appointments and other activities based on customer needs. Supports the Customer Service department and assists with utility billing. Responds to on-call duties and supports Field Operations Department with after hour emergencies.
- SAFETY: In partnership with Safety Coordinator, ensure safety in all aspects of Meter Services while modeling district safety culture. This includes staying up to date on safety training, certification, holding staff accountable for use of all safety equipment and procedures, and use of PPE. Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties.
The Big Picture:
- This position will support and be part of a highly productive team committed to providing efficient, reliable water and wastewater service to its customers from East Vail to Wolcott.
- Bachelors or Associates Degree plus a minimum of 3 years related experience and/or training required; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Preferred field of study or emphasis in engineering, construction management, environmental science, or related field.
- Requires a working knowledge of specialized practices, equipment and procedures related to water and wastewater utility services (plumbing, fire suppression systems, inspection work are relevant to this role).
- Backflow knowledge helpful.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain, within a set timeframe, a Colorado Water Distribution Technician IV and Wastewater Collection Technician IV Certification.
- A strong candidate for this role has demonstrated implementation, problem solving, and project management skills.
- Proven communication (both verbal and written) required. This role will work directly with our customers, including hotels, resorts, and engineering teams to explain clearly and confidently our processes and procedures for efficient metering services.
- Public speaking or presentation skills helpful.
- Must be results oriented with a strong commitment to customer service.
- Research, data analysis and math skills are required.
- This role will spend a lot of time working with a computer so proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, is required.
- Strong experience in Cloud Based Technology and software management and integration preferred.
- Must have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Knowledge of local area preferred.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are essential to the role as well as an ability to manage a large variety of tasks and deadlines in a positive and productive manner.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full-time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
The pay range for this role is $29.74 - $44.61/hr. Starting range depends on qualifications but generally falls within the minimum and midpoint of the pay range. Comprehensive benefits package including health benefits, wellness program, retirement, housing program, and more available to all full-time, year-round employees. Click HERE to learn more.
All District employees must submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
For a full job description, email firstname.lastname@example.org (including physical requirements and description of work environment) or for any additional questions.
All applicants must apply online in order to be considered. This position will remain open until filled.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or any other status protected by law or regulation. It is our intention that all qualified applicants be given equal opportunity and that selection decisions are based on job-related factors.