Backflow and Meter Services Supervisor
Do you find protecting public health and providing excellent customer service thrilling? Are documents like THIS and THIS often on your nightstand for evening reading material? Are you a leader of people who loves compliance data and regulations? Are you the type of person who loves planning as much as they love implementing? Does the technical side of work interest you as much as the mechanical side? If yes, then please apply to this job.
We are looking for a proven leader and implementer to join our Customer Service team as a Backflow and Meter Services Supervisor. This position is responsible for supervising the meter services program and the Backflow Prevention Cross Connection Control Program (BPCCC). Meter services includes reading, installin g, inspecting, and testing water meters, fire hydrant meters, and radio transmission and advanced metering infrastructure equipment. BPCCC involves coordination of all aspects of the program in compliance with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment’s Regulation 11, including conducting surveys, testing district devices, customer outreach, and tracking compliance status related to backflow prevention methods and assemblies.
Why work for us? The work you will do as a Backflow and Meter Services Supervisor will take our program to the next level and directly contribute to protecting the health of our customers and community. Not to mention our excellent health benefits, housing program, and opportunities for training and development.
The Day to Day
LEADERSHIP: Supervises all aspects of the BPCCC and meter services programs. Supervises meter technicians. Trains team members. Trains on call staff in the operation of meter reading, maintenance, and equipment as needed.
RELATIONSHIPS: Acts as liaison between the meter services team and the Field Operations Department, the Water Department, and the Customer Service Department for all matters related to meter installation, reading, and maintenance, as well as the BPCCC program. Participates on the Construction Review and Non-Revenue Water committees.
CUSTOMER SERVICE: Interacts with customers regarding meter readings, construction, delinquent accounts, backflow assembly compliance status, and other issues and inquiries.
METER SERVICES: Conducts/oversees meter reading (AMR/AMI). Coordinates reading schedules and routes. Keeps the meter reading system up to date. Establishes meter reading routes in accordance with changing conditions to distribute reading work load. Seeks effective ways and technologies to reduce read times and increase use of CIS. Oversees conversion to AMI, including managing infrastructure projects. Performs/supervises reading, repair, testing, and inspection of meters for new construction installs and existing meter assemblies, fire hydrant meters. Identifies tampering and illegal taps or meter hookups through inspection and follows up with enforcement. Installs, repairs, tests, and assembles meters. Inspects water lines, PRV's and valves.
BACKFLOW PREVENTION AND CROSS CONNECTION CONTROL: Reads and interprets relevant regulations and implements the BPCC program accordingly. Manages backflow information in the CIS system. Follows up with customers related to backflow assembly testing and method inspection requirements. Enforces compliance deadlines. Completes the annual BPCCC report and submits to the State of Colorado in compliance with regulatory time frames. Corresponds with the state related to matters of BPCCC compliance.
BUDGETING: Maintains meter inventory and orders equipment. Manages budget.
DATA ANALYSIS AND TRACKING: Reviews consumption reports monthly for zero reads, high consumption. Performs trouble shooting of data. Provides oversight and management of meter reading hardware and software. Keeps updated records of meter maintenance.
TEAMWORK: Develops departmental procedures and policies regarding meter maintenance and backflow program. Coordinates with Customer Service Specialists on scheduling appointments and other activities based on customer needs. Supports and assists with utility billing. Responds to on-call on a rotating assignment.
SAFETY: Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties.
The Big Picture
* This position will support and be part of a highly productive team committed to providing efficient, reliable water and wastewater service to its customers from East Vail to Wolcott.
* The ideal candidate for this role has leadership experience and experience with or knowledge of Backflow regulations.
* Bachelors or Associates Degree plus two to four years related experience and/or training required. Field of study or emphasis in engineering, construction, project management, biology, chemistry, environmental studies, political science, environmental policy, environmental management, or related field preferred.
* Must possess, or have the ability to obtain within a set timeframe a Colorado Water Distribution Technician IV and Sewage Collection Technician IV Certification.
* Must possess or be able to obtain within a set timeframe the Backflow/Cross-Connection Tester, Repairer, Surveyor, and Administrator certifications.
* A strong candidate for this role has demonstrated implementation, problem solving, and project management skills.
* Experience working with regulations, compliance or policy development strongly preferred
* Proven communication (both verbal and written) required. Must be able to correspond effectively with federal, state and local agencies, as well as our customers.
* Public speaking or presentation skills helpful.
* Must be results oriented with a strong commitment to customer service.
* Research, data analysis and math skills are required.
* This role will spend a lot of time working with a computer so proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, is required.
* Strong experience in Cloud Based Technology and software management and integration preferred.
* Proficient in use of office equipment, phone systems, copier, fax machine. Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
* Must have the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
* Knowledge of local area preferred.
* Excellent time management and organizational skills are essential to the role as well as an ability to manage a large variety of tasks and deadlines in a positive and productive manner.
* Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
* Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
The pay range for this role is $29.74 - $44.61/hr. Hiring wage will depend on qualifications and experience.
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org by January 20 to be considered. All employees must be insurable under District standards, submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
For a full job description, email email@example.com
Pay: $29.74 to $44.61/hour
<br></p> <p>The pay range for this role is $29.74 - $44.61/hr
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1100